Nord Stream natural gas pipeline begins line fill

Nord Stream natural gas pipeline has begun line fill of its 27.5 billion cu m/year Line 1. Fill will continue for about 4 weeks, with commercial operations scheduled to start in October.

Construction of the 1,200-km pipeline, extending through the Baltic Sea from Vyborg, Russia, to Greifswald, Germany, began Apr. 9, 2010. Russia's Gazprom expects Line 2, a parallel line of the same capacity, to follow in 2012.

Saipem SPA's Castoro 6 and Castoro 10 as well as Allseas Group SA's Solitaire conducted pipe lay for Nord Stream.

Last month Nord Stream completed connection to the newly built 470-km OPAL natural gas pipeline (Ostsee-Pipeline-Anbindungs-Leitung–Baltic Sea Pipeline Link). OPAL will move Nord Stream gas across Europe as far as the Czech Republic (OGJ Online, Nov. 29, 2010). The last welding seam connecting the first line of Nord Stream and OPAL occurred on the grounds of the natural gas transfer station in Lubmin near Greifswald, where the Nord Stream makes German landfall.

In addition to Gazprom, BASF subsidiary Wintershall Holding GMBH, E.On Ruhrgas AG, Dutch company NV Nederlandse Gasunie, and GDF Suez from France all hold stakes in Nord Stream. The Wingas Group has an 80% share in OPAL, with E.On Ruhrgas holding the remaining 20%.

Contact Christopher E. Smith at chriss@ogjonline.com.

Related Articles

DOE approves LNG exports to non-FTA countries from Oregon project

03/24/2014 The US Department of Energy conditionally approved Jordan Cove Energy Project LP’s application to export LNG through its proposed terminal on Orego...

INGAA Foundation forecasts oil, gas infrastructure outlays to 2035

03/24/2014 An estimated $640.9 billion, or an average $29.1 billion/year, will need to be spent on US and Canadian midstream crude oil, natural gas, and natur...

Export short-sightedness

03/24/2014 Opposition by specific refiners to US exports of crude oil should surprise no one. The export ban suppresses the price of domestically produced lig...

HSC remains closed, fuel cleanup continues after barge collision

03/24/2014 The Houston Ship Channel (HSC) remained closed to unauthorized vessels Mar. 24 as the result of a temporary emergency safety zone being established...

Careers at TOTAL

Careers at TOTAL - Videos

More than 600 job openings are now online, watch videos and learn more!

 

Click Here to Watch

Other Oil & Gas Industry Jobs

Search More Job Listings >>
Stay Connected