Production starts from Gjoa field off Norway

By OGJ editors
-- Production started from Gjoa oil and gas field in Blocks 35/9 and 36/7 off Norway on Nov. 7.

Statoil operated the project during the development phase and GDF Suez E&P Norge AS will assume operatorship during the production phase.

The semisubmersible production unit on the field will also serve as a development hub for other discoveries in the area such as the Vega gas satellite, in Blocks 35/11 and 35/8, to come on stream soon (OGJ, Oct 4, 2010, p. 58).

Gjoa's semi is the world’s first production floater, and second platform off Norway, to receive its power from shore, according to Statoil. It receives electricity from a 100-km cable from Mongstad north of Bergen. Troll A was the first platform off Norway to be powered from shore.

Statoil said the Gjoa-Vega development cost 40 billion kroner and estimates a recovery from Gjoa of 82 million bbl of oil and condensate and 40 billion cu m of gas. The company expects Vega to recover 26 million bbl of condensate and 18 billion cu m of gas.

Gjoa will produce through five subsea templates while Vega will have three subsea templates.

The Gjoa semi is 45 km from shore and in about 360-m of water. A 55-km pipeline will transport oil from Gjoa to the Troll II line that goes to the Mongstad refinery. Rich gas will go through a 130-km pipeline to the Far North Liquids and Associated Gas System (FLAGS) that is connected to the St Fergus terminal in the UK.

Gjoa was discovered in 1989 and Vega in 1981.

GDF holds a 30% interest in Gjoa. Partners are Petoro AS 30%, Statoil 20%, AS Norske Shell 12%, and RWE Dea Norge AS 8%.

Statoil is the operator of Vega and holds a 60% interest in the field. The remaining 40% interest is held by Petoro.

To access this Article, go to: