By OGJ editors
HOUSTON, Aug. 9 -- RWE Dea AG awarded an engineering, procurement, and construction contract to the Heerema Fabrication Group for a minimum facilities platform for Breagh A gas field in UK block 42/13. Earlier this year, it also awarded HFG an EPC contract for a minimum facilities platform for Clipper South in UK blocks 48/19 and 48/20.
Breagh A field is in 62 m of water about 100 km east of Teesside. Gas will be exported via a 20-in. pipeline to be laid from the platform to the UK mainland.
RWE Dea estimates Breagh and the surrounding fields have the potential to be the largest natural gas discoveries still to be developed in the UK Southern North Sea. The gas field is a conventional Carboniferous reservoir and the company expects further upside potential in the surrounding exploration blocks.
For Breagh A, HFG will construct the jacket, topsides, and piles at its Vlissingen yard in the Netherlands, with a planned delivery date of late July 2011. The jacket will be about 85-m high and weigh 4,000 tonnes, including piles. The platform will have a 1,400 tonne topsides.
Clipper South field is in 23 m of water about 169 km east of the Theddlethorpe gas processing terminal.
The Clipper South gas field lies in the Sole Pit basin of the Southern North Sea and will produce from the Rotliegend tight-gas play fairway. Gas will be exported to the UK.
HFG also will construct the jacket, topsides, and piles for the Clipper South in its Vlissingen yard, with a planned delivery date of early July 2011. The jacket will be about 40-m high and weigh 1,160 tonnes, including piles. The topside will weigh about 2,000 tonnes.
RWE expects initial gas production from Clipper South during first-quarter 2012 followed by gas production from Breagh in third-quarter 2012.
Operator RWE Dea holds an aggregate 70% interest in Breagh with the remaining 30% held by Sterling Resources UK Ltd.
In Clipper South, RWE Dea, as operator, holds a 50% interest with the remaining 50% held by Fairfield Acer Ltd., a subsidiary of Fairfield Energy PLC.