By OGJ editors
HOUSTON, Jan. 26 -- The US Coast Guard said about half the 450,000 gal of crude oil spilled into the Sabine Neches Waterway at Port Arthur, Tex., on Jan. 23 had been recovered, evaporated, or dispersed by Jan. 25.
The spill occurred when the 95,660-dwt Eagle Otome tanker collided with a barge after apparently losing power.
Although the incident forced closure of the waterway, the four major refineries in the Port Arthur-Beaumont area were reported to be operating at normal rates. Owners and capacities are Total SA, 174,000 b/d; Valero Energy Corp., 250,000 b/d; ExxonMobil Corp., 345,000 b/d; and Motiva Enterprises, 285,000 b/d.
USCG said about 9 miles of shoreline had been affected by the spill.
It said clean-up involved 27 skimming vessels and 36 vessels deploying and working 59,800 ft of boom. The 210-ft Texas Responder recovery vessel was on scene.
Lightering was planned for the Eagle Otome and two barges involved in the collision, which were being pushed by the towing vessel Dixie Vengeance.