By OGJ editors
HOUSTON, Sept. 16 -- Marathon Petroleum Co. (Norway) LLC started production from Volund field on Block 24/9 in the Norwegian North Sea.
The field consists of three subsea-completed wells tied back 8 km to the Alvheim floating, production, storage, and offloading vessel. Water depth at Volund is 120-130 m.
Volund is the second tieback to the Marathon-operated FPSO. The StatoilHydro-operated Vilje field began producing to the FPSO from two subsea-completed wells in August 2008 (OGJ, Aug. 11, 2008, Newsletter).
Marathon says current oil production to the Alvheim FPSO is about 140,000 bo/d, or about 20,000 b/d more than the nameplate capacity. The first Volund well, therefore, will function as a swing producer until a natural decline starts in the Alvheim fields, likely by the middle of 2010, the company says.
Marathon expects Volund to reach a peak oil production of about 25,000 b/d, the timing of which is subject to available processing capacity on the FPSO.
Operator Marathon holds a 65% interest in Volund, while its partner, Lundin Norway AS, holds the remaining 35%
Production from Alvheim started in June 2008 (OGJ, June 16, 2008, Newsletter). Operator Marathon holds a 65% interest in the Alvheim field and the FPSO. Partners in Alvheim are ConocoPhillips Skandinavia AS 20% and Lundin Norway AS 15%.
Interest owners in Vilje are operator Statoil 28.85%, Marathon 46.9%, and Total E&P Norge AS 24.24%.