Save Article Instructions
Close 

Petroceltic makes gas find in eastern Algeria

By OGJ editors
HOUSTON, Dec. 29 -- Petroceltic International PLC, Dublin, said two wells have confirmed the potential to commercially exploit shallow, laterally extensive hydrocarbon reservoirs on part of the 10,872 sq km Isarene permit in the Illizi basin in eastern Algeria.

The company is reviewing options with respect to appraisal and development.

ISAS-1, the permit's obligation well, tested 360 Mcfd of wet gas on a 40/64-in. choke at 41 psi stabilized wellhead pressure from Devonian F2 at 851-856 m and 861-865 m. Formation damage was indicated. The well also tested 850 Mcfd of wet gas on a 56/64-in. choke with 36 psi stabilized wellhead pressure from Carboniferous Visean B at 558-564 m.

The well produced small amounts of gas from Ordovician open hole.

About 40 km west, Hassi Tab Tab-2 flowed 12.56 MMcfd of wet gas on a 56/65-in. choke with 590 psi stabilized wellhead pressure from Devonian F2 at 907-921 m and 939.5-943 m. It flowed 2.44 MMcfd of wet gas on a 44/64-in. choke with 231 psi stabilized wellhead pressure from Carboniferous Tournaisian at 677-681 m. And it flowed 440 Mcfd of wet gas on a 32/64-in. choke with 84 psi stabilized wellhead pressure from Carboniferous Visean B at 436.5-441.5 m.

The Devonian F2 flow rate at HTT-2 is one of the highest for this horizon in the basin, said Petroceltic, which holds 75% of the block. Sonatrach holds the other 25%.

Isarene is 120 km south of In Amenas, Algeria's largest wet gas project. It is just southwest of another permit on which Rosneft has drilled two oil discoveries and one gas-condensate discovery in Ordovician and Devonian F6 reservoirs. And it is less than 15 km from Repsol YPF-operated Tifernine field, where processing facilities have spare capacity (OGJ, May 17, 1993, p. 26).


To access this Article, go to:
http://www.ogj.com/content/ogj/en/articles/2006/12/petroceltic-makes-gas-find-in-eastern-algeria.html