Contractor cites Iranian gunfire in rig dispute

Bob Tippee
Editor

Global worry about his nuclear ambitions wasn't the only issue around which Iranian President Mahmoud Amadinejad performed diplomatic pirouettes last month.

There also were allegations of gunfire over a disputed offshore drilling contract.

Grup Servicii Petroliere SA (GSP), a Romanian drilling contractor, said on Aug. 22 that an Iranian military vessel opened fire on one of its two cantilever jack ups recently working in the Persian Gulf.

GSP said it had terminated contracts for the rigs, the Fortuna and Orizont, on Apr. 1 after learning that the client, Oriental Oil Co. of Dubai, had subcontracted the units to Petro-Iran Development Co., a subsidiary of National Iranian Oil Co. It claimed failure by the client to open a letter of credit and to pay invoices worth $8 million but said it allowed the rigs to continue working for 3 months "as a gesture of goodwill."

Under a court order, GSP said, it was able to move the Fortuna to Sharjah. But it alleged in an Aug. 16 press release that PetroIran was holding the Orizont "hostage" by denying clearance for boats needed to tow it off location on Salman oil field.

In a statement 6 days later, GSP said personnel on an Iranian military vessel fired 20 warning shots at the Orizont, boarded the rig, and disconnected communication equipment. The rig had 26 crew members aboard. There were no reports of injuries.

Representatives of Oriental Oil alleged that GSP tried to hijack the Orizont, a charge GSP Pres. Gabriel Comanescu called "ridiculous." He said the Orizont, like the Fortuna, had an order from an Iranian court allowing removal. He said his company remained willing to negotiate a new contract with NIOC.

Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty reported news accounts in Iran of a telephone discussion of the incident between Ahmadinejad and Romanian President Traian Basescu in which the leaders were said to have agreed that misunderstandings of this type are inevitable. Ahmadinejad, according to the reports, assured Basescu that it was all just a commercial misunderstanding.

So everyone should feel safe. After all, those 20 warning shots didn't involve nuclear weapons.

(Online Sept. 1, 2006; author's e-mail: bobt@ogjonline.com)


Related Articles

New York county puts freeze on Bakken crude

03/24/2014 Government officials in Albany County, NY, have issued a moratorium on Global Partners LP's plans to increase the processing of Bakken crude oil at...

HSC remains closed, fuel cleanup continues after barge collision

03/24/2014 The Houston Ship Channel (HSC) remained closed to unauthorized vessels Mar. 24 as the result of a temporary emergency safety zone being established...

OGJ Newsletter

08/19/2013

International news for oil and gas professionals

OGJ Newsletter

07/01/2013

International news for oil and gas professionals

Careers at TOTAL

Careers at TOTAL - Videos

More than 600 job openings are now online, watch videos and learn more!

 

Click Here to Watch

Other Oil & Gas Industry Jobs

Search More Job Listings >>
Stay Connected