Major oil discovery reported in western Iran

By OGJ editors
HOUSTON, Dec. 13 -- Norsk Hydro AS and Lukoil Overseas Holding Ltd. reported a "major oil discovery" on the Anaran exploration block in Ilam Province near Dehloran in western Iran (OGJ Online, Aug. 30, 2000).

Located in the Zagros belt, Iran's most productive petroleum province, the 3,500 sq km Anaran block contains four prospects: Azar, Changuleh-West, Dehloran, and Musian.

An exploration well on the Azar prospect discovered Anaran field. The well produced crude at commercial rates in July. Norsk Hydro specialists said Anaran could be producing as much as 100,000 b/d by 2010.

Lukoil Overseas, a 25% partner, said the discovery could become "one of the most significant oil finds over the past several years." Norsk Hydro holds the other 75% of the block.

Norsk Hydro currently is drilling the Changuleh-West exploration well, the third of five wells required on the block, three exploratory and two appraisal.

The licensees hope to begin Anaran field development by March 2006 after National Iranian Oil Co. reviews the companies' commercialization report.

Related Articles

MMS chief hopes next president, Congress won't reinstate OCS bans

12/19/2008 US Minerals Management Service Director Randall B. Luthi said on Dec. 9 that he hopes the Obama administration and Congress seriously consider expa...

FERC issues final EIS for proposed LNG project near Baltimore

12/19/2008 The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission's staff identified additional adverse environmental impacts as it issued a final environmental impact stat...

Gran Tierra defers Colombian pipeline project

12/17/2008 Gran Tierra Energy Inc., Calgary, has deferred a 100-km pipeline project in Colombia connecting Costayaco field to the Orito gathering facilities.

Petrobras gets loan for Revap refinery upgrades

12/14/2008 Brazil's Petrobras has borrowed ¥750 billion from a consortium of Japanese banks to finance its investments in the 226,000-b/d Henrique Lage (R...

Careers at TOTAL

Careers at TOTAL - Videos

More than 600 job openings are now online, watch videos and learn more!

 

Click Here to Watch

Other Oil & Gas Industry Jobs

Search More Job Listings >>
Stay Connected