Marathon announces oil and gas discovery off Norway

By OGJ editors

HOUSTON, Apr. 14 -- Marathon Oil Corp., Houston, struck oil and natural gas with well Hamsun 24/9-7 in production license (PL) 150 in 124 m of water on the Norwegian continental shelf.

The vertical well was drilled to 2,250 m below sea level, and encountered 37 m of net gas pay and 12 m of net oil pay, mainly in two reservoirs. The company is evaluating a reservoir management strategy for the Hamsun accumulation, including a possible tie-back to the Alvheim development.

Marathon Petroleum Norge AS operates PL150 and holds a 65% working interest. Swedish Lundin Petroleum AB is in the process of acquiring the other 35% from Norway's Det Norske Oljeselskap AS, pending governmental approval.

Related Articles

People

02/01/2014

Marathon to ramp up US resource play activity

12/11/2013 Marathon Oil Corp. plans to accelerate its US resource play activity and market its North Sea assets in 2014, the company said at its analyst day i...

MARKET WATCH: US crude futures fall on budget, debt ceiling uncertainties

10/08/2013 Crude oil futures prices fell Oct. 7 in trading on the New York market as traders and analysts cited concerns about the budget stalemate in Washing...

KRG approves Iraq Atrush first phase oil development

10/07/2013 The Kurdistan Regional Government has approved first-phase oil development of the Atrush block in Iraq’s Kurdistan Region by a group led by TAQA.

Careers at TOTAL

Careers at TOTAL - Videos

More than 600 job openings are now online, watch videos and learn more!

 

Click Here to Watch

Other Oil & Gas Industry Jobs

Search More Job Listings >>
Stay Connected