By OGJ editors
HOUSTON, Oct. 9 -- Apache Corp., Houston, reported that the Crosby-1 well operated by its partner BHP Petroleum Pty. Ltd., Melbourne, has discovered oil in the Exmouth subbasin off Western Australia. The well, drilled to 4,022 ft MD, encountered a 112-ft oil column in the Pyrenees member of the Cretaceous Barrow Group.
BHP holds 71.43% interest in the discovery, with Apache holding the remaining 28.57%.
The find, 27 miles offshore in 646 ft of water, is about 1-1/4 miles east of recently discovered Ravensworth oil field, and it could be developed in conjunction with Ravensworth, Apache said, keeping development costs relatively low (OGJ Online, July 24, 2003; map OGJ, Aug. 4, 2003, p. 8). In addition, Apache added, the Crosby discovery will not be tested, as reservoir characteristics of the Barrow Group are already well-known.
"Crosby gives us further confidence that we have opened a new oil play¿south of our existing Carnarvon basin operations; moreover, it is potentially larger than Ravensworth as additional oil column may exist updip with no gas cap encountered in the Crosby wellbore," said Apache president and CEO G. Steven Farris. He said appraisals of both discoveries and additional exploration drilling would be undertaken early next year.
Apache also reported that the Van Gogh-1 appraisal well for Vincent field, which extends onto acreage of the Exmouth subbasin 9 miles north of Ravensworth, had encountered an oil column in the Cretaceous-age Barrow group. An additional well will be required to further define the reservoir geometry, its extent, and the total height of the oil column. Operator BHP has 40% interest in the producer; Apache holds 31.5%; and Tokyo- based Impex Corp. 28.5%